Friday, December 28, 2012

A New Endeavor

I am kicking off a new Blog, which I am calling Windows To My Spirit.  I was going to call it Window to the Soul, but that name was already taken on BlogSpot, and I think spirit is a more appropriate description anyway.  I think the other blog I’ve been posting to recently may be seen as offensive to some, and while that was never my intent and I have tried not to be overly critical, I think it may work better to have a blog site with a less pithy and anger invoking title.  So… This Blog has been inspired by certain revelations I have recently experienced, and I am going to explore what all this means to me.  I hope that you as a reader can find inspiration from my experiences.

Those who know me will tell you that I make no secret of feelings and views of religion.  I am not a fond proponent of any organized religion, and find most theological texts fail the test of logic, reason, and time.  While I do and will continue to hold religion in serious question, I try not to bash individual religious believer (I know there are those however who may feel differently about my intentions.)  While, I believe most are as misguided, as they believe me to be, I think most are only trying to live their lives as peacefully as possible with those around them.  Many, I have found have an honest moral code at their core which go much deeper than any religious motivation.  But, there are also too many who use the religious beliefs as a means to negatively impact the lives of so many others, and far too many others allow this to happen unchallenged.

All that aside, I do believe in the idea of spirituality.  You can choose to call it what you like, but, there is without doubt a special quality within the human species alone, which with no connection or attribution to religion, I consider to be our at the core of our spirit or soul if you like.  Yes, I believe we all have a soul.  Some will argue that all living things have a soul; others will claim it is the possession humans alone.   I tend to side with those who believe that all living things have a soul, as I believe the soul is really no more than the energy encapsulated in our bodies.  Regardless of your view, I think it is safe to say that humans do possess something special and unique to each of us.  Mechanically speaking, the human brain really works no differently than that of any other animal’s brain.  Electrical impulses transmit information to and from the brain to the rest of the body and stores historical data about those transmissions. But, somehow the human brain alone appears capable of feats demonstrated by no others species and a body designed to turn those mental feats into a physical reality.  There is one capability which I think is at the core of the human soul, that thing that makes us unique and special.  The human alone on this planet is the only creature to my knowledge that creates solely for creativity’s sake, and consumes the creative product solely for entertainment purposes.  As I think about this idea, even science is a creativity endeavor.  What other creature on this planet looks at his or her environment and asks, WHY?!?  And then, proceeds to test that why.

The ability to learn, innovate, and build, beyond simple survival tools, is one demonstration of this creative talent.  But, the ability to create and tell stories, and the collection of these stories in books, movies, art, and music is the most special demonstration of human creativity, with art and music being the most universal expressions of pure joy.  There are stories told every day in almost all aspects of our life, those who know me are very aware of my affection for the stories told in Disney Theme Parks, and Disneyland in particular.  It is this creation and collection that encompasses what we call today, the entertainment industry.  Strictly speaking, your life as an animal receives no biological value from reading and book, watching a movie, or listening to music…  But, think about what your life would be like without these things.  As a human being with creative needs and desires, one could argue that, while you don’t need these creative outlets, you cannot truly survive without them.

Creativity will out…  I believe every human spirit will find a creativity outlet one way or another.  Where the creative soul is being nourished and nurtured, others can witness great beauty and joy.  Where the creative soul is being nourished but tortured, others can observe great pain and tragedy.  Either of these provides the observer, as well as the creator, with beneficial value and insight into life’s experiences.  But, where that creative being is starved and suppressed, the fallout can be devastating.  I have come to a belief that a significant portion of the negative events we experience or witness, on an almost daily basis, can be attributed to a long starvation, and in many cases the destruction, of that perpetrator’s creative soul.    

I may still post on the other blog from time to time, and I will definitely continue my Disney History journey and blogging about it, but this blog will become a creative outlet for my writing.  Whether it be poetry, short stories, essays on life, philosophy and spirituality, maybe even a few pictures here and there… the purpose here is to find ways to nourish my creative spirit and allow it to shine.  You are welcome to come along on my journey.

Your comments or questions are always welcome.  If you have something to add, please feel free to contact me at mr.grumpyguy@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment